Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Oh, for fuck's sake!

Ok, so it was a two interview day...

[Insert heavy sigh and big eye-rolling]

Here we go.

My punk ass got up. I got all gussied up, I went down to interview number one. It was with another staffing company. Like I said before I wasn't really looking for this to be a big event. I got there and filled out the paperwork. I sat through the interview process and I gave my entirely too practiced responses. And the lady who interviewed me seemed to like me. She seemed optimistic about placing me somewhere, but then again, that's her job, isn't it? She made what seemed to be a big fuss over me, but she didn't give me any details on anything she had in mind for me. EHH.

On to interview number two.

This was actually a phone interview as opposed to a face to face. This lady seemed to love me. She really wanted me to come in for a second interview to be an office manager, but there was a hitch. Namely that I would have to work on commission. (How an office manager earns a commission is kind of beyond me.) And when I mentioned that my situation at present kind of requires a steady paycheck, as opposed to the uncertainty of a commission check, I kind of hit a wall with her. I tried to feel her out on this, and it all came back to that commission thing... Kind of a deal breaker when you're as financially destitute as I am right now. She liked me well enough to mention that she did have a personal assistant job coming available soon, but she is not quite ready to place someone in that job just yet, but she mentioned that she would certainly keep me in mind. And as much as someone keeping me in mind for a future position is great and all, it doesn't pay my bills today.

I've got another staffing company to see tomorrow... (At this point, one would think that I'd visited them all by now, but apparently not.) I'm so sick of trying to sell myself to these people. I'm kind of sick of myself period. I'm sick of not having any outside input or contact beyond the repetition of the interview process. I'm sick of answering THE SAME QUESTIONS OVER AND OVER. I'm REALLY sick of trying to understand how it is possible that an educated, personable, hardworking person such as myself can be having such a tough time just trying to find someone willing to hire me. It's so far beyond comprehension and infuriation for me, it's not even funny... I guess this is going to be a chapter or two worth of material for that book I write someday.

In other news, I want to post pictures of the stuff I've been knitting, (only because you have asked to see it,) but I'm having trouble trying to figure out how best to display a scarf that is 12 feet long. Also a couple of the things I've been working on are Christmas gifts, and I don't want to give away the surprise by showing them off in advance... On a tangentially related note, one of the gift-scarves that I recently completed was for a friend of mine, and oddly enough all attempts at contacting this friend in recent weeks have failed... Or more accurately, I've left messages and seemingly been repeatedly and consistently ignored. Now, I understand that it's the holiday season and that people get wrapped up in their business this time of year, but I'm talking about multiple attempts at opening an innocuous conversation, and consistently get no reply whatsoever. This friend knows that this gift was something I had planned to send. This friend knows I presently have no address to send it to them. I have pretty much given up on trying to send this as a gift to someone who clearly doesn't seem too keen on accepting or appreciating it right now. I have been down this road with this person before. It's infuriatingly familiar territory for this particular friend and I. And I think the reason it pisses me off so much is that I am just trying to do something nice for someone I consider a friend. And generally speaking, I like talking to my friends, so I find it a little irritating when they don't reciprocate conversation, or at least proffer some kind of explanation or reasoning as to why I am being ignored. But like I said before it's familiar territory for us... I should know this song and dance by now.

So that's the update. Have a good day.

No comments: