Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Nicknames

Several months ago, I was chatting with my BFF, The Admiral, about some things and the topic of nicknames came up. We talked about how she had maintained her moniker over the years, and dearly loved the title, and as the conversation progressed, we realized that neither of us could recall the reasoning for her being deemed "The Admiral" but no matter what, we knew that it didn't really matter anymore.

In recent months, The Admiral has found herself in a family way. To put it bluntly, she got herself all knocked up, and we here at the Happy Hour couldn't be happier for her.

So she and I were having a chat over the weekend and I decided that despite her changing family situation, rather than adopting a new, more maternal nickname or title, she would be allowed to maintain her current nickname. The reason for this being that as a mother and breadwinner, she would be the commander of her familial fleet. This reasoning was met with approval.

I further noted that since I had not been assigned a real nickname over the course of our friendship that I was taking matters into my own hands and appropriating a moniker of my own.

Generally speaking, I frown on the concept of self-assigned nicknames. They seldom have the genuine resonance to catch on the way you want them to, and often if they manage to catch, they wind up getting all twisted around and misused. So I ran it by her first. I wanted an official sign-off from The Admiral stating that she was on board before I made anything official.

Seeing as she has managed to grow up, get married, and start herself a little family, while I have managed to avoid most of the trappings of genuine adulthood, I selected, "The Artful Dodger" as my new title. It has further roots in my artistic pursuits, and that other aspects of my life are somewhat Dickensian in nature. It really is quite fitting. (And The Admiral agrees.)

So, with that, I became The Artful Dodger... And I invite you to give me any thoughts you might have on the matter.

4 comments:

bun(s) said...

Sounds fun, happy, yet slightly mysterious. One could argue it sounds sketchy and deceptive but I'll take the light and airy approach since that seems to fit your nature. I googled it and this is what came up: http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sugexp=gsqvh&xhr=t&q=The+Artful+Dodger&cp=12&pf=p&sclient=psy&site=&source=hp&aq=0&aqi=&aql=f&oq=The+Artful+D&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=72724c316305bdf2

Lizzle said...

Well, if nothing else, I get a free trip to Australia... Works for me!

Unknown said...

michael kors outlet
oakley sunglasses
nike air presto
kobe bryant shoes
canada goose outlet
michael kors outlet online
asics outlet
pandora jewelry
michael kors outlet
louis vuitton
mt20180714

Unknown said...

replica bags chicago find more a3g83h0y09 replica bags uk from this source u6o93d9t27 Ysl replica bags replica bags wholesale n1s03x9f94 Continue k1n95y0d44 replica louis vuitton bags replica bags and watches b1c86o4e75