Monday, January 28, 2008

Eff the library!

When I'm in a funk, one of my simple pleasures in life is buying books. Even if I'm running a little low on cash, I immensely enjoy going into book stores and finding something on a sale rack which can occupy me for hours. I mean I'd happily skip a meal to buy a good book... A good book feeds you more. And while I could probably find them for free at the library, or cheaper on Amazon if I was willing to wait for it to be shipped out, there is something so thrilling to me about going into the store, thumbing the pages, reading the synopsis on the dust jacket, eventually buying a good book, calling it my own, and never having to return it.

That's one of the really great things about a vacation. I have a built-in excuse to go and track down a good deal on a couple of those books I've had my eye on. I mean, since I'm going to visit family, there is the distinct possibility that I won't have a great deal of time for reading, because when you've been away as long as I have, everyone wants a piece of you, but even if you only read on the plane, you've spent a portion of your vacation reading. And since I derive pleasure from purchasing books, and I was buying books for vacation, a little piece of my vacation started today!

No comments: