Monday, July 14, 2008

Employer-ectomy...

The title gives you the right idea. I am done with working for the soul-sucking despots, and being totally unencumbered from my bonds there feels much the same way that I imagine a person feels when they have a giant tumor removed... Only my tumor consisted of about 200 people,(mostly benign, but at least 20 of them totally malignant,) four offices, 9 vans, a crap ton of useless individuals who had the benefit of being paid for all the hard work I was doing, without ever dealing with it and getting their hands dirty themselves, and a partridge in a pear tree. I don't know what all of that would add up to weight wise, but I think it goes without saying that it would be a LOT, and not carrying around the burden of that nasty tumor feels really good.

REALLY REALLY GOOD.

My friends and family have said that even since I gave notice they've noticed a change for the better in me. They say I smile more and I laugh easier, and there are fewer mentions of doom and gloom... I've seen it too. During my last week, I was working on paperwork, and a coworker who I had a little regular contact with was chatting me up, and suddenly gave me a very puzzled look. When I inquired as to why he was giving me that look, he informed me that the look on my face was foreign and he didn't know how to respond because he'd never seen it in our offices before. Needless to say I was smiling.

During the last two weeks in that hell, I talked to everyone around who I ever determined to have any sense, and encouraged them to make a run for it too... Short of personally organizing a mass walkout, I think I did all I could in the time I had remaining while still managing to get paid... I was more than a little subversive in my tactics, but if you ask me they deserved it.

Now the process of packing begins. I'll be packing all week, canoeing this weekend, and attending my going away party, hauling my crap to Ohio, coming back to clean my apartment, and pick up my car, and then attending my family reunion before landing solidly in my new home state. It promises to be a very full couple of weeks.

You'll be hearing from me... I don't know when exactly, but just keep checking in.

And if you have noticed a marked absence of my commenting at your blog, don't be offended. My computer charger shorted out, and I haven't been online lately beccause I can't charge my battery, but I promise that as soon as the new charger I ordered comes in, I'll make the rounds and catch up.

And to the commenter who wanted to find the song "Crazy Mary," I can help you out with that, but it'll have to wait until my new charger comes in, so shoot an e-mail my way and I'll get back to you with the file.

That is all.

Have a nice day my little chickadees! (I know I finally will!)

No comments: