Thursday, September 04, 2008

It might bore you to tears, but I'm going for it...

So I only composed my most recent entry last night, and it was a brief synopsis of how I am boring, and how I seem to be getting more boring by the day, but in the spirit of rekindling some kind of creativity and positive energy, and in that whole "get back up on the horse" spirit of things, I've decided that I'm going to go ahead and post more crap just so that I can get back into the rhythm of being awesome for you. (I do it all for you guys, really!)

Here goes. (This will almost certainly read in the stream-of-consciousness spectrum of writings, but just roll with me.)

Today I went and officially got my Ohio driver's license. Not really all that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things until you consider one important fact. For the first time EVER, I am genuinely happy with my driver's license picture! The thing is, if any of you as ever seen a current Ohio driver's license or state ID, you've probably noticed that the picture is kind of blurry. On every driver's license I've seen since coming here, that's the case, so it's not like they just blurred things out for me because I was busted or something... I'm not of the low self esteem mindset to call myself busted (I'm kind of reasonably cute, though grossly out of shape) but anyway, everyone is blurry, not just me. But I'm not happy with the picture just because I'm a little blurry, I'm happy because even in the normal resolution photo they showed me before they slapped it on a legal form of identification, it was a really respectable ID photo. I think this might also have something to do with the fact that for the first time in entirely too long, I'm pretty genuinely happy with most of my life... I mean, yes, I'd be happier if I had a job and normal human interaction every day, and an income to boot, but I'm not working a job that makes me miserable. I'm reasonably healthy, (despite the aforementioned and acknowledged need to get to the gym solely for the sake of personal pride and enjoyment of physical activity... Gym memberships, too, cost money, and therefore come with a job that delivers not a pittance but a real paycheck not earned by dealing with threats of bodily harm, lice, scabies, or poop, so that too will be solved with the new job whenever that comes along.) I get to hang out with my best friend at least a couple of nights a week. I still get to talk to my mom on a daily basis. I don't live in the festering cesspool of mediocrity known as my hometown anymore, and ... Well, if that can't make a person happy, then you're beyond help.

I have the added bonus of getting to see one of those family members who ensures a quality outing and lots of laughs this weekend... I'm speaking of course of my Vegas benefactor cousin, who is headed to town for some football/tailgating/ridiculousness. It promises to be a good time.

For those of you who wanted to know more about the indiscriminate bitchery of the Admiral's sisters which spawned my own little schpiel, I'll give you some details... Let's see how you all interpret things. Friday night I'd gone out to happy hour with the Admiral and the sisters. We'd had a pretty good time, and all things considered it was uneventful in that nobody was pissed off at anyone, everyone was on speaking terms, etc. After we left the bar we returned to the house belonging to one of the sisters, and continued our drunken amusements. At one point shortly thereafter, I noticed that the Admiral had gone to bed... Knowing that this was not in keeping with the Admiral's behavior, I went looking for her. I found her in a bedroom in tears. After a bit of talking, I determined that while I was chatting with a guy at the bar, the sisters descended in full force on her and basically said anything and everything that they could to verbally shit on the Admiral, her life goals, her newfound happiness in her relationship, her friendship with me, (despite the fact that they both readily admit to the fact that neither of them has any friends,) and everything else they could think of which made her happy in life. Two words: NOT COOL. Not at all cool. After some genuine kindness and honest talk, I calmed the Admiral down, noting that it was two people being jealous of her happiness, and trying to downgrade her happiness and accomplishments in any way just to make themselves feel better. Despite my initial inclination, I said nothing to them, and let it slide knowing that this was a common occurence in their family dynamic, and so I went to bed. The plan for the rest of the weekend was to watch the football game, send the Admiral off to a concert in Cincinnati where she would spend Saturday night and then Sunday, and on Monday we would go to the Admiral's childhood home for a Labor Day BBQ... This was not to be... Shortly after sending the Admiral off to the concert, my phone rang. It was one of the sisters. I answered cordially, saying hello, and asking what was up, and the reply was somewhat shocking. "Um, I'm just calling to let you know that you're officially uninvited to our parents' house on Monday. That's all. ::CLICK::" I didn't even have an opportunity to ask what had happened, or to respond in any way. Obviously shocked, I waited a few minutes to process what had just happened, and to wait for a second phone call to indicate that the first call had been a joke. (Needless to say, that second call never came.) After a cursory few minutes of waiting, I called the Admiral to make her aware of what had just transpired. She was incensed. She noted that she was ashamed that anyone in her family would behave like that, but noted that they had been fighting via phone since she left with her boyfriend to go to the concert. She advised me that she was pissed off beyond belief, and that despite my own shock, not to dignify the incident with any kind of response, and that she'd deal with it... A week later, and she's still not talking to them, there has been no kind of apology from either of the sisters, and the Admiral and I enjoy our evenings by sitting and talking about any number of things and knowing that her sisters are miserable and alone because of their own indiscriminate bitchiness. That might make us bitchy, but I think we're entitled.

Man, that was an excessively long tale without any paragraph breaks... Sorry.

Anyway, that really brings you up to speed... Have a good weekend, and I'll check you later!

No comments: