Friday, January 23, 2009

If it's broken, and it's going to be expensive to fix, it's probably mine...

Today is one of those days... Work was shitty. (Work being shitty is nothing new, but it was shittier than usual because half of my staff decided not to show up, and one of my supervisors decided to get pissed off because the other person who gets paid to do my job decided not to accomplish a damn thing for yet another shift... And then she decided not to show up for her shift to relieve me at the end of mine.) So there I was, getting berated for things that weren't my doing, and trying to do five people's work all by myself. When it came time for me to take my lunch, I tried my hand at improving my day. I went and found myself a pretty rad new shirt, and a Burt's Bees pomegranate infused lip balm... And in a handy twist of fate, and the one thing that went right for me today, I managed to get them both for a grand total of sixty-two cents. And with that one little thing going right, I threw off the balance of nature, and FAR more expensive things started going wrong.

As I left work, I noted that it was actually a few degrees above freezing today. So I rolled down a window not so much for the balmy temperature, as for a little fresh air. I noticed that the window I wanted to roll down wouldn't work... So I rolled down a different window. Upon getting home and giving it a little further inspection, I found that it would roll down when using a different switch, but then no matter which switch I used, it wouldn't roll up. Marvelous. So now one of my windows is down just enough to tempt someone into trying to reach in and steal what little I have if I should decide to go anywhere... And certainly it's down far enough to let in enough moisture from rain, sleet, and snow which will surely settle in and mold the back seat.

In an attempt to do a little homework online to see if there was any way that I could fix it myself, I got on my trusty computer, which seems to normally function on some level of busted-ness, but which had decided to actually work properly for the last couple of days. As I was searching for answers, I found nothing... Nothing but frustration as the computer too decided to stop properly functioning as well.

All for a lip balm and a rad shirt for 62 cents... If I'd known that's how it was all going to go down, and that the measly 16 dollars worth of positivity would throw things the natural balance so far off kilter, I'd have paid regular price for them, and keep my window and computer working.

But at least I didn't get arrested.

No comments: