Monday, March 19, 2007

EPIC...

(This gets a little scatter-brained, but just run with it... It's all I can muster.)

It's been a week packed with drama here at the happy hour. In the past week, I've gone to court and given sworn testimony against a client, my bracket has fared crappier than in years past, I've started getting along a little better with grandpa, I took mom to see 300 at the IMAX theater, (her first IMAX experience ever,) I worked a ridiculous number of hours, and I found out something about one of my friends that I can't really share here just yet, but trust me when I tell you it's big, and it threw me for a loop... Oh yeah, and the refrigerator broke.

Yeah... I've been a busy bee. So I apologize for the lighter than average posting lately.

First off, let me tell you something. If you have ANY interest whatsoever in seeing "300"... And I do mean even the slightest little teensy weensy bit of interest, GO. SEE. IT! LIKE NOW! It's absolutely awesome. If you're a nerd for computerized effects, GO. If you're a nerd for classical studies, GO. If you're a nerd for Frank Miller graphic novels, GO. If you want to see a bunch of ripped men with six pack abs in leather underwear, GO. If you want to see some boobs, GO. If you want to see epic battle scenes, GO. If you just want to see a good movie, GO... It's an epic not to be missed! Thank me later.

Moving on.

Yeah, in the short time I've had my job, I've already been called to court. According to my boss, this is not a good sign. He told me that in his experience the sooner someone gets called to court when working my position, the more frequently they will have to go to court throughout their time working there. That's what I get for having one of those personalities that people just open up to... Dammit! While we're on the subject of my job, I should note that the majority of the people I work with, myself among them, are supposed to get 30 billable hours a week... You are allowed to bill more, but not supposed to fall below 30 if you can possibly avoid it. Anything over 30 is extra on your paycheck, but hell on your personal life. (Basically to work 30 billable hours in this business you're really WORKING for closer to 40-45.) This week I had 45 BILLABLE. Which means I probably worked closer to the 60+ range. That's a lot. Especially considering I've only been on my own for like two weeks. An epic billable week.

As for grandpa, well... I can't really explain it. I think it has something to do with the mail. (The mail is the only thing that has changed in the last week, because I have finally started getting the forwarded stuff from my old address.) All of a sudden he has decided he wants to be civil and talk to me. It's weird. Are we on the best of terms? No. But if I heard him take another tumble down the stairs, I'd most likely come running a hell of a lot faster than I would have last week. This isn't so much EPIC, as it is just a monumental step in the right direction.

My bracket... Well, we're just not going to talk about my bracket. Most of you don't care, and for those of you who do, let's just say that I HATE WISCONSIN. They shouldn't have lost so soon. Stupid badgers... Fearsome woodland creatures, MY ASS! I've still got some hope, but I'm pissed off at a few teams... LIKE EPICALLY PISSED OFF!

The friend thing? Stop moaning. I told you I wasn't going to talk about it. It's not my place.

And then there is the epic with the refrigerator. It's dead. We discovered it when grandpa wanted ice cream and when we got it out of the freezer it was soup. Since then we've been icing down our perishable food supply in coolers. It's been like a camping trip, but without the smores, the lewd behavior in tents, the lewd behavior not in tents, and the mass consumption of beer. (I've been sticking to wine lately.) Supposedly the fridge will be fixed tomorrow. I'm not going to hold my breath waiting on the repair man though. But the whole icing-down-the-food process, that's been an exercise in utter ridiculousness... I won't bore you with the details, but seriously... WAAAAAAY more complicated than it needs to be.

I guess that's all for now. You kids behave, and I'll see about getting you a lollipop. (Oh, and I'll also try not to neglect you so much.)

Oh, and if you remember this post, where I launched my attack on anyone who has ever hired David Caruso for an acting job, (Jay, I'm looking at you here,) then you might want to have a gander at this stupid little cartoon. It made me laugh. But then again, it might be the exhaustion and my disdain for David Caruso talking.

No comments: