Monday, April 25, 2005

WOW... it's been a while.

I suddenly came to the realization that it's been a while since I've done a sports rant. This is especially remarkable considering all that has been going on in the wild world of sports in recent months. Let's start with the NHL... Oh, wait... there is no NHL to report on... nevermind.

MLB - Right now the topic of steroid use is about as huge and scary as all the guys who have used them... and let me just say that I 100% without a doubt believe that Sammy Sosa DID use steroids, and that he did lie to the Congressional panel who questioned him. I also think a few of those other guys who were subpoenaed to appear before congress were also using, but like Mark McGwire, I'm not naming names. We all know I am a baseball geek, so let me just say that I fully support the regular testing of baseball players, and if they are caught using, they should be penalized HEAVILY... I'm talking like no hall of fame penalization... I mean really, if you're not gonna let in Charlie Hustle (Pete Rose, for you non-baseball geeks, who was banned for betting on baseball,) or Shoeless (Joe Jackson, who is banned despite a lack of unequivocal proof that he helped throw world series games.) then you shouldn't let in these other guys who are getting caught cheating... they produce the numbers legitimately, they get in. They cheat, they don't. Enough of that nonsense! In other baseball news, did anybody other than me and the Red Sox nation see the brawling between Boston and Tampa Bay? I frickin LOVE a good baseball brawl! ME GUSTA MUCHO!

NBA - The bulls are really heating up. If you'd have asked me at the beginning of this season if they stood a snowball's chance of being a dark horse I'd have called you crazy... OK, for you non-Chicagoans, in NBA news, in recent weeks there has been talk of instituting a minimum age limit on entering the NBA... I think this is a bunch of bunk. I think if you can operate a car, a 2,000 lb. piece of machinery easily capable of killing people, and at 18 you are legally able to carry a gun and die for your country, if you are able to handle a ball well enough to hang with the big dogs in the NBA at any age, you should be allowed to do so. LeBron is my boy.

WNBA - Kate Endress joined the Connecticut Sun... nobody other than me really cares about this, and very few people seem to care about the WNBA, but as far as I'm concerned it's worth mentioning, because Kate is a friend of mine.

Golf - Tiger Woods got his 4th green jacket. Congrats Tiger. I know my grandma actively dislikes you because she thinks you ruined the game, but my grandma is a mean, racist old bird, and I'm proud of you... And I'm impressed that you made such a comeback after your nuptuals... (Yeah, we all took note of the way your game dropped off the charts when you met your Swedish model wife...) Way to power through it buddy!

NFL - The draft was this weekend... I have yet to absorb all I need to on this to give appropriate analysis. More to come as this topic mentally develops.

Men's College Hoops - I never really got into all this, but North Carolina won the national championship, meaning Loyola is still the only school in the state of Illinois to go all the way. As for the Heels, I hate to burst your bubble guys, but I really don't see Sean May (among others) coming back next year... I mean really.

Women's College Hoops - Baylor took the women's championship... I know that aside from the one or two readers who actually play Div. I women's basketball, nobody else really cares... I thought it was still worth mentioning.

While we're on the topic of college sports, Loyola's Men's Volleyball team is #9 in the nation and I'm telling you, these boys are some movers and shakers... I love them! It's now or never boys! They are under-appreciated and under-rated, and that's a fact!

Soccer - Nobody in the US actually watches soccer... which is unfortunate, but true.

I think that's enough for now... but feel free to add your two bits.

No comments: