Sunday, April 01, 2007

But I don't even LIKE Billy Joel!

Back in my bar tending days, I worked private parties, and I worked at a bar that was infamous for having karaoke 5 nights a week... I didn't work there very long, but in that short time, I'll tell you, I got sick and tired of hearing BAD singers select Billy Joel songs to cover... As a result, I don't like Billy Joel... And I really don't like Bon Jovi... But Bon Jovi is a whole other can of worms.

But today I was thinking, and I was reminded of the immortal words of Billy Joel.

Billy once wrote:

"If that's what it's all about
If that's movin' up then I'm movin' out."

And that's exactly what I did.

I got sick of playing politics at home. I got tired of walking on eggshells to prevent some nuclear meltdown on the order of Chernobyl just because I didn't eat toast with my breakfast, or I drank a whole bottle of wine in the course of one evening. I'm old enough to do what I want, and I know what I need to do, and how to do it. I lived on my own for 6 years in a city of 5 million people, and for the most part, I knew what the hell I was doing, and how to function on a daily basis. (I'm taking a mulligan on those last few months...) Basically, I didn't feel like having an irrational 86 year old with questionable personal hygiene lording over me, interrogating me about my every move. HOMEY DON'T PLAY THAT!

And so I took my cue from ol' Billy. And I got the hell out.

I spent my Sunday evening gathering up the few things that I had taken to my temporary residence, and packed them into the back seat of the car, and drove my happy ass over to the empty house that was my childhood home. It's still on the market, and so, instead of giving grandpa any reason to bitch and moan, or feel "put out" only to then vent his resentments to my mother so that his point was made passive-aggressively, I left. I thus took the fuel from the fire.

He can grumble all he wants now. I'm not listening to it. I'm not there. I'm not going to be around to in any way irritate him, and more importantly, I'm not going to be around to listen to his bullshit.

(This post is my passive aggression... The difference is, I don't expect anything to come of it. I say these things only to vent my personal frustrations, and to entertain you fine folks for a few minutes, not as a means to any kind of change or end.)

But most of Monday will be occupied setting up housekeeping in my new-old home... The highlight of which will most likely come on Tuesday when I am finally able to make my own coffee which will have NO GROUNDS in the bottom of the mug... Oh, and then there's the whole getting-to-sleep-in-my-famously-fabulous-bed again. The bed at the last place left something to be desired, but it was rent-free, so I wasn't going to complain.

But let's face facts here, the skid marks... those were sooooo deserving of a complaint. But instead of complaining to the responsible party and then still suffering through (because he'd have insisted that it wasn't his fault, because nothing is EVER his fault), and being forced to do the "nasty toilet hover" in my own residence, I just moved to where I knew the toilet was safe, and where I know for a fact that if there is any dookie anywhere, it will be IN the toilet, it will be 100% flushable, and it will be mine.

I hate to be a kill-joy, but I need to go and get some things set up if I want to get to bed before the sun comes up... I'll check in again later.

Until then, be good eggs!

No comments: