Monday, May 21, 2007

I'm not calling you bad parents... Oh, actually, wait, THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT I'M DOING.

On Friday I was desperate to take any cases so that I could make my minimum number of hours for the week. And despite my initial protesting, I somehow got roped into taking a "parent education" case... Which basically means I'm going to go into the home of some people who have had their kid taken away from them because they were physically abusing the kid, and I have to "educate" them how to parent their child. Basically, I have to go in and find a civil way of saying, "Uhhh, hey, you probably shouldn't beat the crap out of your kid anymore, and here's why..."

Of course, that would require that I know something about parenting, for example, apparently answering a kid's question about a potato meant that I was interfering with one of my clients' parenting. I know this because she instantly became enraged, insisted that I was interfering with her parenting, and told me, "Just look around and get the hell out!" (Which is a lovely way to address anyone, especially someone who is only doing their job by checking in on you and your kids... Oh, and of course it's a lovely thing to scream at someone in front of afforementioned kids.) All because of a potato!

Man, do I ever feel loved and appreciated!

Thank goodness my co-workers know what goes on... and thank god for one co-worker in particular who knows just how bonkers this particular lady is, and allows me to vent any time I have contact with her

No comments: