Thursday, June 01, 2006

Another rough day in the land of Lizzle...

I am doing ok, the foot is healing nicely, though the hole is still there, and its still quite painful due entirely to the location. Work was fine, and considering I've got tomorrow off I'm feeling pretty good about that.

But then I got a phone call last night. Yesterday my Uncle Ron, (arguably my favorite uncle) suffered from TIA which is basically a mini-stroke that doesn't cause any permanent damage. TIA is often an indicator of future vulernability to strokes. Often TIA sufferers have strokes within 5 years of experiencing TIA. This evening we got a call from my Aunt Pam telling us that Uncle Ron didn't have to wait 5 years to have an actual stroke. He had one today.

At the last update, he was having trouble speaking, but was making every effort to be understood. And he was unable to get himself up and out of the wheelchair at the hospital. Fortunately he was still in the hospital for observation when all of this happened, so he got immediate treatment, and with physical and speech therapies, he is expected to eventually make a full recovery.

Not to imply that there is any GOOD time to have a stroke, but this came at a particularly rough time for the family. Two years ago today, my cousin gave birth to a beautiful little girl named Faith. Faith was born with a fatal genetic birth defect, and after two months Faith succumbed to the assorted symptoms of her birth defect. That trauma had a big impact on an incredible number of people. It was an incredible event, and as such, the dates surrounding the events of her birth, short life, and untimely death are things that are noteworthy events that are marked and quietly observed. The stroke in addition to the anniversary of Faith's birthday made it a very difficult day all around.

Trying to end things on a positive note, we'll close with a QOTD.

Customer (talking to Erin): "Do you know where I would find a shovel?"
Erin: "Well, I work for the flower company, not Home Depot, so no, I don't"
Customer: "You don't work for Home Depot?"
Erin: "No. Sorry."
Customer: "So you don't know where I would find a shovel?"
Kerry (talking to me): "I HATE it when the customers do that."
Liz: "Yeah... when they do that shit I always want to say, 'No, I don't work for Home Depot, but if you ask me where to find a shovel again after I told you I don't know where to find one, I will track one down and make it really easy for you to find... Because it will be BURIED IN YOUR SKULL.'"

No comments: