Monday, October 09, 2006

Knocking it out of the park...

Ok, here's a question for you.

You kids are pretty damn funny, I know because I read your stuff, and for the lurkers and folks who don't offer up reading material (selfish assholes! ...Kidding,) I either know you personally, or I know that you have enough of a sense of humor to keep coming back here, so I know I'm safe asking this here. Do you folks ever have periods of time when you are just on a total comedic hot streak? A period where you are just comically "En fuego!"?

Friday night, after battling my cramps all day at work, I went with a friend to watch a college volleyball game. From the time of about 6PM to around 11, I was hitting a true comedic stride. I could do no wrong. Everything that anyone said neatly segued into a joke for me. Every time I opened my mouth the jokes just poured out. It was an unstoppable river. And they were GOOD jokes too. I haven't the foggiest idea where the jokes came from... There was even a joke about Yemen in there! Seriously, when was the last time you even THOUGHT about the country of Yemen, let alone cracked a joke mentioning Yemen? Yeah, that's what I thought... It doesn't happen frequently.

I am not trying to toot my own horn here, but I think on average, I'm pretty funny. I know that I do make my fair share of jokes that are cornier than a post-thanksgiving dinner BM, but there are plenty of quality, original jokes to make up for those genuinely awful ones. (Side note: Speaking of Thanksgiving, happy turkey day to my Canadian readers!) But this was a big night even for me! It was one of those rare times when you could just feel the energy, and there was just no stopping me. It's like when a baseball player has an outstanding game out in the field, and then gets to the plate and ends up batting a cycle. It doesn't happen often. And no matter how much practice time you get in, there is just no explanation as to why the cosmos aligned the way they did or if the gravitational pull of Jupiter spun the earth imperceptibly off its axis just long enough to allow events to unfold the way they did... No telling really.

I just know that I had at least one reliable witness to the events, so there is no dispute that they did actually transpire. And when I mentioned the fact that I was really feeling the comedic groove, she agreed. There really was no dispute. I mean a joke about Yemen? REALLY? Was there really any lingering doubt in your mind? I didn't think so.

Whatever it was, I wish I could bottle it and use it in small doses as needed... You know, when the comedy well looks as though it's running dry. I wish there were some kind of reliable way to at least predict when it will happen, so I know how to plan my evenings!

Does anyone else know what I'm talking about? Does this ever happen to anyone else?

No comments: