Monday, October 02, 2006

MAAAAAA-KIN' COP-IEEEEEEES!

You all remember that spectacularly annoying SNL sketch, right? The one starring a spectacularly young Rob Schneider as the annoying asshole in the copy room. Don't lie! You know you remember.

Yeah, well, today being a religious holiday for some folks at the office, a sick day for a couple more, and generally slow for the rest of us... When the little Asian accountant that works in my office, who was neither sick, nor observing the religious holiday, comes over to my desk and asks what I'm doing, I really didn't have anything to tell her. It was so slow I couldn't even make anything up. And so she plops 11 of the thickest file folders I have EVER seen ANYWHERE onto my desk. ELEVEN! ... I mean we're talking Kenneth Starr sized files.

I knew that this is what I had to do, because as the low person on the totem pole, a girl has to pay her dues.

So, I asked her what she wanted me to do with these obnoxiously large files. The answer? Make two copies of everything, keep it all in order and assembled the way it is now, and messenger the two copies over to people who apparently needed to see these files desperately.

Believe me when I tell you that I am not exaggerating in the least when I tell you that I spent all but 45 minutes of my work day back in the copy room, tediously disassembling, copying and reassembling these files back into their original format, but in triplicate. And that 45 minutes I got to spend outside the copy room? Spent counting pages of the largest files to make sure all of the pages were accounted for.

Sound like a real treat? Oh it was!

Now I'm not complaining, because I know that I was paid well just to push a button on a machine and then just sort and paper clip all the pages it spat out, but the fact is that while I was back in the copy room, you know what one of my fellow admins was doing? She spent the day on MySpace. Yeah, like I said, I know it's all about me paying my dues right now.

That's really all I have to report right now, and I know it's intensely boring, but I am intensely sleepy and that's the best I can mange!

I'll catch you on the flipside!

No comments: