Friday, January 21, 2005

I thought that it was time for me to post again. I have a class with 300+ pages of reading a week, and I have not started, but oh well, it's time for some thoughts from Madison.

First, I would like to mention that I have never had a class where attendence did not count. Indeed, it always comprises some percentage of my grade. I had a class of 150 (this is medium sized at Madison, I have a class of 300 this semester, and have had one as large as 600, but I digress) and even in a class of 150, with no discussion section, attendence mattered. Perhaps, my dear Liz, mandatory attendence is good for you.

Now, on to what is actually happening in my life. I, like Liz, graduate in May. I have never been more terrified of anything in my entire life. I don't have any job prospects lined up, and honestly, I don't know what I want to be when I grow up. I think that I want to live in Chicago or DC. I think I want to work in politics. I know that I want to change the world. But I now realize those things are difficult to do with merely a bachelor's. Which is crap I tell you. When did a degree stop being enough? Furthermore, the other day I asked an instructor, who I know quite well, for a recommendation. His response was sure, but I need to give him an academic resume. What the hell is that? I'll tell you what it is: one more stressful thing I have to do before I graduate. Basically, I need to summarize what I have done in the past 4 years and make it look better than it actually was. For example: Volunteer work. I happen to be a very good babysitter of drunks. Does that count?

Well, of course there is more. But I realize now that it getting late, and I have to read about globalizations's impact on the third world's population increase (interesting, yes. does it help me get a job? no.)

Ciao for now.


Oh, quick side note: I have had 2 wonderful though drastically different movie experience in the past 2 months. One: Napoleon Dynamite. I have never laughed so hard. Two: Hotel Rwanda. I cried the whole way through. But I loved it. It was absolutely amazing.

No comments: