Monday, January 24, 2005

I've got a few other people interested in the book idea... While sitting at work today Jen W. came out to tell me that she also laughed quite heartily at my written retelling of the tourettes-train incident. I don't know if she was telling me so that I had the comfort of knowing that someone else would be joining me in hell for laughing at a horrible syndrome, or if it was just to keep me in good spirits about writing up other peoples' misfortunes. Either way it prompted a verbal retelling of events for those who were not present and had not read the blog... I think that while it is funny in print, it is a story better told in person, if only because the things the woman said needed the inflection in order to be just THAT MUCH funnier. (I think perhaps I've mastered some unspoken skill that makes my stories a little better than average.) But while at work Erin and I had a little discussion about reality television, it went a little something like this:

Erin: Mark your calendar! Season premiere of "Newlyweds!!"
Liz: Sorry, I don't mark my calendar for trash TV.
Erin: It's not trash! It's "NEWLYWEDS!!"
Liz: Yeah, like I said, trash TV... they are being paid millions of dollars to do what? Be themselves? OOOH THAT'S TALENT!
Erin: ...
[A few minutes after Jen W. came by and I retold the tourettes-train story]
Erin: You know, Liz, you end up in some of the funniest and strangest situations. What are you doing that causes such weird stuff to happen to you?
Liz: I don't know why these things happen around me, they just do! But I sure as hell don't see anyone offering me millions of dollars for a reality series, you know why? Because I'm an ordinary person... weird, funny shit happens to me all the time but I only get to share it with the few people who read my blog, not much in the way of huge ratings.
Erin: If I had millions of dollars, I'd finance your reality show! I'd totally watch it too! It'd be hilarious.

So, someone would be willing to spend millions of dollars to finance my reality show if they had the money... this makes me think that the book idea might actually work. I mean there are a lot of people out there who have the fifteen bucks or less that it would cost to buy my book once it goes to paperback... I'm not asking for millions to produce a reality show. And in a book you wouldn't have to wait a week for the next episode... it's all right there!

I'm comfortable with the idea of living off my book royalties, spending my money on new adventures for the next book. I could go for that! (And with the elevated profile of being a best-selling author I could also sell my paintings for a decent sum!)

This book idea is getting better and better all the time.

================================

I would like to note that I wore a pair of brown pants and a pink sweater to work today. Brown pants and a pink sweater... not exactly the most glamorous outfit I own, but after today I'm starting to think that I must look like a total slob the rest of the time, because I don't know if I've ever gotten so many compliments in such a short period of time for looking cute / dressing up / "being all sparkly" / etc. I'm still not sure why I was "all sparkly" (The actual compliment was, "Wow, Liz, you're all sparkly today!" and I do want it on the record that I didn't have any glittery makeup or anything on...) but anyway, I think it was a compliment. Anyway, thanks everybody for making me feel good about the wardrobe today, and question my wardrobe the rest of the time.

================================
QOTD
1.25.05 - [I heard this one right before we left for Florida and forgot to post it]
(Lanny was asked if there were any extra perks to doing volunteer work at the public library)
"Well, no, there aren't really many things you'd call 'perks' but I am getting all kinds of street cred with the other librarians!" ~Lanny.

1.26.05 - [Majak Kou had just walked by] (Majak is about 6' 7" and weighs approximately twelve pounds... Yes I am aware that his "Rambler profile" says 6'5" 165, but I think it's REALLY off.)
Pat Schultz: "You know he's my favorite guy named Majak. Of all the Majaks I know, he's definitely my favorite, and he's also probably the skinniest Majak I know."
Liz: "Yes, that Majak is a rather slender fellow."
Pat Schultz: "Slender? Are you kidding? The guy is a burnt pencil!"


No comments: