Tuesday, January 04, 2005

Time for a small rant.

I've come to the realization that a long-term relationship and eventual marriage might not be for me. Please, hear me out, and don't get me wrong. I still have hopes and dreams of (at some point in the distant future) finding someone to share the rest of my life with, and hopefully have many beautiful children with. I still hope to land a wonderful man who will love me for all of my quirky, idiotic, senseless-weirdness, who will make out with me when I want to make out, and buy me things like season tickets to the Cubs (although I'd settle for just one or two games a season if that's all we can manage) ... and who will occasionally do "man things" like kill nasty bugs and stuff. I know that I'm asking for something there, and I know that love is about compromise, but I've also recently come to the realization that I am "Difficult."

Yes, you read it here first kids, I AM DIFFICULT!
  • I don't like it when people talk too much.
  • I don't like it when people take credit for things they are supposed to do anyway.
  • I don't like it when people take credit for the things that other people do.
  • I don't like it when people don't do the things they are supposed to do.
  • I don't like it when people are unwilling to sleep in the bed that they make for themselves... basically I want people to understand what responsibility is, and how it applies to them, whether they like it or not.
  • I don't like it when people don't practice what they preach.
  • I don't like it when people act one way in front of some people and act another way as soon as they are gone. (there is a difference between this and situationally apropriate behavior)
  • I don't like it when people who are supposed to be mature adults don't know how to behave.
  • I don't like it when adults forget or don't know how to talk to/treat kids.
  • I don't like it when people are too pretentious for their own good.
  • I don't like it when people are not willing to say "I'm sorry" or "I made a mistake"
  • I don't like it when people show no consideration for others.
  • I don't like it when people are oblivious to their own idiocy and are unable to laugh at themselves.
I've also noticed that I get irritated and tired of people rather quickly when they exhibit any one or more of these characteristics. And I've noticed lately that I know a lot of people who exhibit these traits. While I was at my dad's, he said something about my Grandmother (his mom) being stubborn, and wanting things done her way. All I could say to him was "Well, that's a trait that we Scheller folks are famous for, you and me included." Dad didn't take too kindly to that. But I think like good ol' grandma and the rest of my family posse, that I shouldn't have to compromise on those things. I realize that love is all aout compromises, but if my grandma can be as stubborn as she is, and she can find lasting love with a guy as awesome as my grandpa, well, then I think at some point I've got a slim chance, right??

================================

QOTD
1.3.05 - "For some or other reason this evening, I was thinking about protection, about the ways we learn to shield our soft-shelled thin-skinned selves as we get older, as our bones knit, as our emotional membranes become more selectively permeable. It becomes methodical, I think, over time the choreography of revelation and reservation: the active process of self-possession requires us to be our own spin doctors and gatekeepers, summoning our discretionary resources of persuasion to alter the way our personalities unfurl, to time-lapse our childhoods, to finesse our rough edges. And indeed, I think there comes to be such a thing as "perfect" frankness but it's not necessarily an act of total disclosure so much as it is a distillation of detail, an evolving presentation. It's something that happens as we grow into ourselves. Well, at least where some of us are concerned, at any rate." ~Sally's away message (She just had to go and get all philosophical on us)

1.4.05 - "So, I was on flight from Colorado, sitting peacefully and reading before take off when the flight attendant started doing the regular schpeal about the buckles and oxygen masks when all of a sudden I heard her say, "Did someone loose a wallet?" As soon as EVERYONE started reaching for their carry-ons, we were informed that it was merely a way to get people to pay attention. Boo Marcie, boo. " ~Another gem from Sally

1.5.05 - Marie is going to Italy...she is gonna find a big, buff, sensitive, beautiful, English-speaking (but cute Italian accent), wealthy, dark haired, chisled featured, big-nosed, funny, witty, exciting, intelligent man to fall in love with. after she introduces him to me - i suppose that she can start looking for a man for herself. ~ My buddy Joe. (Yes, Joe with an E, he is a boy.)

================================

TOTD (I still don't know if you kids like this feature or not, and whether or not to keep doing it... some feedback would be appreciated)

Madonna - "Frozen" (because we've got snow and coldness here)

Stroke 9 - "We were wrong" (because I like it when people can say they are wrong as I noted above.)

Bright Eyes - "Lover I Don't Have to Love"

No comments: