Thursday, March 31, 2005

Full of piss & vinegar and ready to go!

Today I had class with the professor I told off on Tuesday... it was uneventful. (We will see if my outburst has any effect on my grades when I get my quiz back next week.) A few of my classmates approached me before the professor arrived and told me that they were amused and thrilled with my statements and that the professor continued to babble and further detain them after my departure... I was amused at hearing this.

================================

Terri Schiavo dies, her family mourns her loss, and the rest of the world breathes a collective sigh of relief.

Please don't get me wrong, I think that any death is a sad thing, especially for those close to the deceased... and especially under these kinds of circumstances. But here's my take. No matter which side one took on the Schiavo "right-to-die" case, the fact is, it's over, and we can all breathe again.

Yes, it is unfortunate for her parents and others who supported keeping her alive that they lost their fight with the legal system.

Yes it is sad that those who believe in a person's right to die had to come into the spotlight with such a controversial case.

Yes it is unfortunate that all of this happened because people don't think far enough ahead to sign, or at least verbalize, a living will. (Ladies and gents, I hate to tell you this, but the fact of the matter is that you're not going to make it out alive... Death is a part of living, and since you never know when it's coming, you need to be at least partially prepared for it. That means telling MANY of those around you what your wished would be in such a situation.)

The fact is that this case was controversial for a number of reasons, none of which I will get into here... (This has never been a political forum) But I took philosophy of medical ethics and I think there is a strong argument for both sides, and I don't think the U.S. Congress should have been involved... the only branch which should have anything to do with this case should have been the Supreme Court.

I'm just glad that we can move on from this ugly event in our collective lexicon.

I have seen and heard a few different takes on the Schiavo case, and I think that the parents were holding out hope for something that WAS NOT going to happen. Brain matter does not regenerate. However Michael Shiavo seemed to lack any care or compassion for his wife, and that says something.

================================

If you want to try to rehabilitate me in the event I become a vegetable, by all means, do so. But if in the end there is no hope for my recovery, pull the plug.

If there is a chance I could ever recover and have at least a somewhat normal existance, you leave me plugged in.

By somewhat normal, I mean I want to be able to talk to and understand the people who stick with me, and I don't want to be drooling on myself or relying on machines to eat, breathe, and poop.

I think that life is sacred, and not something to be trifled with, but the fact is, that if keeping me alive despite every fact stacked against my recovery is something you want to do, just know it's not for my benefit, it's for you. I wouldn't want to deprive others of medical resources which might preserve the life of someone else who might have more of a chance.

================================

The other day I gave a shoutout to my true friends... that's because you guys can't ever hear someone say "you're awesome" and mean it too often. The fact is that we take each other for granted and we forget to tell those we care about that WE DO CARE... so to you, my readers, and my real pals who might not read on a daily basis, but have stuck by me through some crazy shit, I love you. You are wonderful. And when it comes to it, and the chips are down, I'm glad to know you've got my back.

================================

Much love homies!