Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Celebrating Independence

I spent much of my day at home, feeling gross and watching a Project Runway marathon. Because, with the exception of the "feeling gross" part, that's how I like to revel in my American freedom.

I accomplished nothing. I made no calls. Made no plans. Talked to no one. There is a special kind of freedom that one can only enjoy when free of the encumberances that come along with the company of others. It's nice to feel that particular kind of total liberation. Really nice.

I had no intention of going out to see the fireworks. To be honest, I've never really understood the point of setting off fireworks as a celebration of freedom. Because we all know that its not really a celebration of freedom until someone loses an eye, or blows off a finger, or has third degree burns over sixty percent of their body, right? Yeah. I get that the great theatrical mid-air explosion of color and sound is supposed to be an entertainment that is supposedly vaguely reminiscent of the shots, mortars, and bombs of warfare that secured our freedom back in 1776... But honestly, it's not the same, and most everyone, whether they've seen a war up close or not, knows that. But I digress.

After a few cocktails, the idea of going out and seeing the fireworks rapidly grew on me. Knowing how I'd spent the day, I already knew I wasn't going to be going with anyone else... And as I walked out my front door I wasn't entirely sure how I felt about that. I walked the half a block, cut through the park, which was quite full of people, and out onto the remarkably empty beach. The waves were up more than I expected, and there was a cool breeze blowing in off the lake. I found a nice little place that was a good 50 feet from anyone, and about 20 feet from the edge of the water, and I sat down to watch the show. And there I sat, for over an hour, watching the fireworks, and watching the people... And to be honest, I don't know which was more entertaining. As it turned out, I went for the fireworks and stayed for the floor show.

In the end, I left with a really reflective mood, and I think its a really good thing to reluctantly go anywhere with no expectations and come home with an inclination to be a little more introspective and thoughtful... And I guess that's why I wrote this post the way I did, which I don't think is in my typical vein here.

No comments: