Tuesday, July 11, 2006

My sleep schedule is ALL OUTTA WHACK...

[IMPORTANT EDITORIAL NOTE: I took sleep meds before beginning the composition of the coming post, and as time wears on, the sleep aids take hold a bit more, and well... Let's just say that I am not sure exactly how this is going to pan out or make sense, because by the end the drugs will be working some magic with my words... but I digress... On with the post!]

Seriously, while searching for gainful employment and not getting up at a specific time for current lack of employment, (because there are only so many new listings every day) and being thrown off by that 3 AM yoga session, my body just doesn't know which end is up as far as the sleep schedule goes. I won't get into just how far off my body is right now, because that's incredibly boring to you, I'm sure, and its a little embarrassing for me, but suffice it to say its BAD.

Since I am so far off schedule, I had an hour long conversation with my long lost friend, Kevin. Kevin only now has discovered the Happy Hour, and I hope he is finding everything that this is not the typical blog that people lead you to when people say, "Oh, I have a blog." and then they lead you to some craptulescent toilet overflowing with ego and grandiose notions of thinking they are better than someone, or a depressed puddle where they spill out their "feelings" and by "feelings" I mean they post the lyrics to some depressing song and try to show us that they can relate to the suicidal tendencies that the song might mention, or the deep hole of depression... blah blah blah... We all know those blogs, we've seen them. And the only people who really read those blogs are the people who wrote them, toiling over their every word like this post will be in the running for the next pulitzer, often leaving the better part of any small audience bored beyond belief or totally struggling to get past the opening sentences. And on the off chance that someone gets any real meaning out of any of it, it's perhaps that the writer needs to seek out some kind of counseling services.

I think it's fair to say that that's not what we're about here at Happy Hour. RIGHT??? You guys will back me up here, won't you?

I like to consider this place a locale where I can vent my assorted crap, debase myself to the point where ego doesn't factor into the eqation of happy hour blogging, give you a few laughs, and get me back to where I need to be every day. (Let me know if I'm totally off-base with my assessment of where I'm at.)

But I mentioned I was talking to Kevin, and Kevin is a poet, who is learning that while writing poetry is a very intimate thing, sometimes the outside world needs a little peek in at it... So he sent me a healthy selection of poems and as we turned to blog talk, I offered to post up some of his stuff and see what everyone else thinks too. (If you comment on the poems, please be honest about what you are getting from it, or what you think about it, but at the same time remember that I'd like to maintain a friendship with this boy.)

So here are the selections that I thought I'd post for you kids to see... (And just so we're clear, if in any part of this, he mentions a girl, it isn't me. ) These are not necessarily my favorites, or the ones that Kevin and I will discuss at length, but I am kind of giving you a smaller sampling of the ones I got.

These Moments Are For You

Amidst all this

I scribe in my little leather bound book.

Meant for genius/brilliance/depth

Every word that leaves this pencil

thinks of you.

Amidst all this

thoughts, contemplation, pondering

there lies a deeper emotion

stirring in my mind – intriguing this body

wishes for you.

Amidst all this

solemnity, solitude, solace

these moments are for you.



May 25, 2006 (2)

Roscoe

How you inspire me!

You do not plead for peanuts

purveying a petulant spot to lie in the grass

watching the new faces come and go

only with faint interest you wait

Ah!

You damńed fly!

I snap at you!

Did I get you?

I wait for your return with unrest.

I get bored, you must be gone.

My time is best spent

…living…

June 3, 2006 (4)

Pure petulance pass the prose

What I feel is that no one knows

the time to sing*
the time to laugh°
the time to cry ^

* Your crazy hippie style
Makes the brown dog smile

° A brief moment to pass
A brief pat pat to sass

^ The brown dog loses its way
But how that dog loves to play


Knot kneading knappy knows

We know I need to love your woes

June 8th, 2006 (1)

Take a dip in its warm waters

Get wet

And when you step out of it

You may never be dry again.



Kevin sent me those and several more which I will happily critique for him. But that's more of a thing that he and I will do away from the blogger realm, I just thought you kids might like a little glimpse at Kevin, the modern day straight male poet... Let him know what you think in the comments.



I would like to close this post by noting that I have composed the entire post wearing THESE.

Because wearing them makes me look as strange as I feel while writing on sleep meds.

No comments: