Thursday, September 02, 2004

Yeah... People LOVE gum!

===========================

People always say, "Oh, enjoy college! Those will be the best years of your life!" ... to be quite honest, I really hope those people are wrong. If the best years of my life include living on ramen noodles, and rice because you're too dirt poor to buy anything else, having to live in bad apartments with mice and/or bugs, and with people who are only tolerable on their very best of days in the toxic waste part of town because the break you get on rent is the only way you can afford the afforementioned ramen and rice, then just go ahead and shoot me now.

Now admittedly, I've had a lot of fun during my college days, I've had plenty to drink, and I've made some of the most incredible friends a girl could ever hope for, but honestly, what is it that makes these the best days of my life? The 35 page write-ups of lab experiments that keep me up at all hours of the night for weeks on end? The 15 page philosophy papers that argue the finer points of a vague theory produced by a man, now long dead and gone... only to come to the realization that the theory isn't even really applicable to current standards and practices? Yeah... Stop me when you kids get overwhelmed by all the fun! I mean I listen to my sister talk about going to work, putting in her time, and coming home to play playstation, and know that she has no homework, or other such commitments to dedicate her time to... (This is a girl who turned down Yale's graduate program.) She goes out on weekends, meets new boys, drinks with her friends, and plays with her dog... To me, I think those might be better days. Am I wrong here? Or maybe my grandparents have the better days, playing cards and golfing. I don't know, I certainly don't have it all figured out, and I'm not going to bore my slight readership while I wax philosophic about the whole thing.

But as for my college experience, I couldn't possibly even mention my days up here in my private university without saying, may the lord bless members of my family who have always been so freely giving of their funds, especially my mom who has gone WAY above and beyond to send every available penny (and even more than a few unavailable ones) my way whenever I've had the need.

If anybody knows where and when my best days are, let me know!

===================================

I don't know if I've just consistently thought this in my head, or if I've ever actually put it out there, but does anyone really know what the hell is going on on the spanish channel? (Any of the 5 or so we have here in Chicagoland?) To be quite honest, I don't think that even with a degree in spanish, or being raised speaking the language would help me with this question... I've even known my fair share of native hispanics who are VERY confused by the programming on these channels.

I think the fine folks at Telemundo figure if the Mexican national soccer team isn't playing a game that day they'll just put some skeezy lookin hoochie mama in neon spandex and a corset-top and let nature run it's course.

===================================

QOTD
9.2.04 - (while discussing our financial strains)
Jen: "Hey, let's sell our eggs!"
Liz: "No thanks, it's painful, and I'm gonna need them some day."
Jen: "Oh, hmmm.... Well, you know anybody who pays for head?"

No comments: