Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Legal Troubles...

Being a recent college grad, I know what it's like to wrestle with the less-than-delightful people who work for companies handling student loans. In fact, I've been arguing with one of my student loan companies for three months over paperwork that they said they wanted me to sign and return, but which I never received in the first place in order to sign and return it. (It's a vicious cycle like that!)

But last night, I got home, made some dinner, and sat down to go through the day's mail, and I learned something incredible. I saw something from the student loan people, and instead of ignoring it, as I have been known to do, (since they have been sending me statements throughout my college career despite the fact that they didn't expect me to pay until 6 months after graduation, which is roughly now). So, I opened it up, read what they had to tell me, and flipped to another page from the mailing... It was roughly at this time that my mind kind of boggled at what I saw. (No, I was not boggled at the numbers on the page... I was prepared for those.) Rather, I was caught off guard by something else. Something that I wasn't expecting.

Apparently I went to law school... And apparently I graduated from law school in August of 2005.

This of course prompted a phone call to my mom that went a little something like this:

Liz: "Hey, mom... Guess what!"
Mom: "What?"
Liz: "You know how I didn't go to class sometimes back when I was still in school?"
Mom: "Yeah, why? They want your degree back?"
Liz: "No, actually, I found out that I missed a lot more class than I previously thought... Because apparently I graduated from law school in August."
Mom: [gales of laughter] "Really?"
Liz: "Yeah... I mean I know I skipped a lot of stuff, but I would've thought I would have remembered SOMETHING pertaining to enrolling, attending, or graduating from law school."
Mom: "Well... Wow! You think you can go to the law school reunions?"
Liz: "Probably not..."

Later, mom and I talked again:

Mom: "So, about this law school thing, you know that will look quite impressive on your resume!"
Liz: "Yeah, I know! I mean I apparently did law school at the same time as my undergrad, either that, or I completed 4 years of course work in the 3 months after I finished my undergrad, to have finished when they think I did. "
Mom: "I always knew you were a gifted child... So how is this resume entry to read? 'Graduated law school 8/05 but decided not to take the bar, and opted for working in one.'?"
Liz: "Ha, yeah... but I think it would end up reading more like, 'Graduated law school 8/05 but decided not to take the bar, and opted for working in a bar, got fired from that job for irrational reasons, so I elected to just take to drinking in bars.'"
Mom: "I think that'll do."

Yep, I think that'll do.

No comments: