Monday, November 01, 2004

Once again, I'm hell-bound or bust!

Yeah, I go to a Catholic-affiliated university, and yeah, we have theology requirements as part of our core, ...so of course I spend my theology time learning and doing things to slowly claw my way out of my sentence to the eternal fires of hell, right? I think you've forgotten who we're talking about here... so please allow me to remind you, IT'S ME! So... yeah, I go to theology this afternoon. The professor was not in because she was having carpal tunnel surgery, but we still have a quiz, administered by the one student stuck furthest up the professor's backside. (Needless to say this fellow is a bit of a tool and with his brown-nosing, he makes all of us other students physically ill.) So we take this quiz... I B.S.ed my way through it, and then we were told that we'd be watching a film.

So, it was to be a movie chronicling the life of Dorothy Day. Long story short, Dorothy Day whored around for a while, had an abortion, had a kid outside the bonds of wedlock, then converted to Catholocism and founded homeless shelters for the destitute people in New York at the time of the Depression. See how long that took me? Only a few seconds to give you all the important details of the film... Wanna know how long it took the producers/ director/ actors to tell me this? Damn near 2 hours. THAT'S 2 HOURS OF MY LIFE I WON'T BE GETTING BACK... EVER. Now admittedly, when you watch a film in a theology class that gives you the details of one person's life, it is either to sing their praises or to demonize them, and knowing my professor, she ain't demonizing anybody, so I knew what was coming before we even started. So as the opening credits run, I sat there, knowing that in the end this lady was going to be protrayed as a saintly figure, worth my time and patience, and did this stop me from making acenine remarks, and jokes at the expense of those in the movie? Nope. Instead I took it upon myself to be foreperson of the peanut gallery... I recruit Katie O'Connell (better known to some of you as O'Shower) to join me in hell by accompanying me in my cinematic musings. Needless to say it's always better with a friend!

I got several disdainful looks from our friend the quiz proctor... especially when we got to about the one and a half hour mark... because with every cut-away shot, and every fade to black scene, I would vocally plead for this torturously saccharine-sweet film to end. Yeah, I said it... I was the asshole who kept making smart-ass, editorial comments about a woman who in the end was pretty much beyond reproach, and I was begging for this film to mercifully end. (Not unlike you, begging me to stop going on and on about this damn movie... well fear not, I'm about done.)

Basically I'm still an asshole, and I'm going to hell, but it's not like you didn't already know that.

================================

QOTD
11.2.04 -
Shaun: "We're all underpaid here"
Heather: "Yeah, I can't pay for anything with what I make here"
Liz: "I can pay my electric and my cell phone with what I make here"
Heather: "HOLY SHIT, you can pay two bils?"
Shaun: "Do you have any idea how much time she spends here? I mean she's practically got a cot in the back!"

1 comment:

John said...

Hi there ##NAME##, I have been looking at ##LINK## for some time now and found your post titled ##TITLE## very useful. I've now got to find something on so I'll pop back and check out more of your site another time. Great site by the way