Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Sometimes you just want to stab a bitch in the face...

Ok, I'm going to be honest. When I first took the office job back in December, I did think to myself, "Damn, its really going to suck to be cooped up in an office all summer when I could be outside in the sunshine."

And that's true, it does suck to be in an office when its sunny and beautiful out! Of course here in the midwest, we also deal with somewhat temperamental weather... So on the crappy, rainy days an office job might be preferrable. Today started out crappy and rainy like that. And of course, on rainy days, flower sales dwindle, but then there are always a few hardcore shoppers that figure that they need their flowers, and dammit, they need them now!

Now just because there weren't a great deal of shoppers didn't mean that I didn't have stuff to do... There's always stuff to do at the beginning of the day. We were still busy. Those hardcore rain-weathering shoppers don't see it that way. One in particular.

There were four of us merchandising (working) today. (*Please note that at this point, it was STEADILY raining, and we were all outside getting soaked and trying to get things done as quickly as possible so that we could get inside and do the work in there before it really started to come down.) And this particularly obnoxious woman hovers over us out in the rain, continually telling us that she was supposed to go golfing today... and that she's just so happy she cancelled. We tire of this rather quickly. That does not stop her.

She also blathers on continually about a mandevilla. (For the record, mandevillas are tropical plants that the store carries, but are not something that my company handles, and thus, we as merchandisers are not responsible for.) So this woman goes on and on about these damn plants that we are not responsible for. She tells us at least once every 5 minutes or so that she really wants a pink mandevilla... And she does this for over an hour and a half. While we're trying to work. In. The. Rain.

After an hour and a half in the rain, we decided that we needed a collective break from the rain... and this lady. So we go inside. We take our break for about 5 minutes, and like clockwork, she shows up again, and again asks for this mandevilla. I begrudgingly tell her that I will help her find it, much to the surprise of my coworkers. To be honest, part of it was just to get her out of our hair, and part of it was to do my "good deed for the day."

So we walk out to the back of the store, and find the mandevillas. They are kept on carts that are enclosed on three sides, and of course the one she wants is at the back, on the top shelf. So I scale the back of the cart, grab the one she pointed to, and pull it out for her. She waffles on this choice. She really wants a pink one. We only have red and purple on the carts. After a few more minutes of waffling in the rain, she goes with the purple, and we turn to go back up to the front of the store. She informs me that she expects me to carry it for her. (Also something that is not my job.) Begrudgingly, I carry it. Of course on our way she spies another plant she likes, and proceeds to discuss it at length with a merchandiser from another company... While I hold her heavy-ass rain-drenched plant for her.

At this point, I am ready to strangle this woman. She continues to find assorted ways to bother me until she checks out and leaves about 15 minutes later. At which point my coworkers stare at me in wonder, trying to figure out A) Why I bothered to help her, and B) How I was able to restrain myself from violently inflicting her death.

I spent the next few minutes joking heartily to assuage my inner rage. As Erin walked away, Kerry began to snicker at something. (Which brings us to a QOTD)
Erin: "What? Do I have something weird on me?"
Kerry: "No."
Liz: "Uhh, well, vaginas are weird, and I'm pretty sure you've got one of those on you."

Kerry immediately burst into an uncontrollable laughing fit, I shrugged it off, because it was just an average joke for me, but it gets QOTD because its not every day that you have a decent vagina joke.

So I didn't kill anybody today... And that's a good thing.

No comments: