Wednesday, May 12, 2004

In response to the lovely Jennifer's post, I'll make some additions to my ranting... Ok, she makes a good point ,and I agree that there are 2 kinds of "bandwagon fans" and I will further say in my own defense that I only attacked the bandwagon fans that want my cheese sandwich (for those of you just joining us, please see paragraph 3 of the rant that is 2 posts below the current text) namely those who said they wanted a cheese sandwich all along... That said, I will say quite clearly that I harbor no feelings of ill will to those who acquire a new-found appreciation for the fine sport of baseball (or any other sport for that matter) because athletic competition is a joy to behold, and the fact that one is only recently coming to appreciate is both a happy and sad event; happy because you've finally come around, and sad because it took you so long! But I'm more than willing to accept the new fans who express a genuine interest in learning all about a new topic, especially one as wonderful as Cubs baseball. (As long as you're not trying to pretend that you knew it all along) My issue is with those who claim that they have always had a serious interest all along. I'm ok with those folks who are willing to admit they are newcomers to the game... The fact is that right now the jury is still out on you kids, but if you make good on your word, you won't be a bandwagon fan forever, it's just a temporary status until the passage of time and the acquisition of knowledge has made you a genuine diehard. The gear will eventually become soiled in the heat of competition, worn with pride after big wins, and after particularly gruesome defeats, lived in for days on end. I have nothing against the new fans who are genuine in their appreciation, but until you have an acceptable knowledge of the game, and you have spent acceptable amounts of time watching games and listening to radio broadcasts, just admit that you originally had spaghetti-os... Those of us who originally had cheese sandwiches know we had cheese sandwiches, and we can pick out almost everybody who actually had the spaghetti-os to begin with. God bless the new-found fans on their quest to becoming die-hards!

On an unrelated note, here's something that will provide you with some momentary entertainment... Find your ideal job! Post in the comment area what you're gonna be when you grow up!

No comments: