Monday, January 09, 2006

Getting back into the swing of my baseball geekery!

Ok, enough of this somber, sad stuff... Let's talk about happy things!

Happy things like BASEBALL!

Yeah gentlemen, you read that right, BASEBALL MAKES THIS GIRL HAPPY!

And of course by baseball, I mean CUBS BASEBALL!

As most of you should know by know, I am a total die-hard, born & bred, Cubbie-blue-bleedin', Ivy-lovin', drinkin'-old-style-in-the-bleachers-of- Wrigley Field, WGN-game-watchin' Cubs fan. And no matter what anyone else has to say about it, I am DAMN proud of it.

Being the baseball nerd that I am, and being as comfortable as I am with my baseball geekery, (Yes, I invented the word geekery, but it's a great word, so shut the hell up,) I am proud to say that I subscribe to Ivy Line, (the official Cubs magazine,) I am on the Cubs weekly newsletter e-mail list, during the season, I have inning by inning scoring updates sent to my phone, and all year long, I regularly check the ESPN bottomline (because I have bottomline on my computer, and it is one of the best things EVER) for Cubs related stories.

Tonight I found such a story... and it brought a smile to my little round face!

We've traded Corey Patterson!

Normally, you wouldn't find a fan excited about trading away a player who was once thought to be the future star of your team for two minor leaguers... but you know what? These are not normal times, and this is no ordinary trade.

Patterson struggled all last season. For some reason we had him batting lead-off for a good part of the season... Though that reason is a mystery to most rational people because he couldn't hit a ball to save his life last season.

I particularly enjoyed the comments made by Patterson himself, and by GM Jim Hendry.

"Basically, I thought I played well with the Cubs other than in 2005," Patterson said. "I just got into a rut, and before I knew it I couldn't get out of it... Obviously, last year wasn't the best situation for me," he said. "I thought all along that getting a new start was important. I look at it as a positive."

Yeah Corey... We think getting you the hell out of our lineup is a positive as well.

"If he is not going to have a chance to be a full-time player, he is not going to be able to correct the things that led him to have a bad year last year," Cubs general manager Jim Hendry said. "It was not a good fit for him to be a bench player here at this point, after what happened last year."

Good move Jim... I'm proud of you for realizing this fact now, and unloading him and his paycheck onto someone else's bench!

Basically, just seeing the headline for this story totally made my day!

No comments: