Wednesday, January 11, 2006

That's why I'm coffee house royalty, and you're not...

Ok, so in my months of patronage at my coffee shop, I have made friends with all the people who work there, I know them all by name, and they now start making my order as soon as I walk in the door...

This means that I get to skip the line, and go ahead and sit at my table. And when my coffee is ready, I pay when I pick it up (also skipping the line for pickup.)

The employees and I joke about other patrons, other workers, etc.

It's a good deal all around.

I don't really know where I'm going with this, suffice it to say that I am officially coffee house royalty... Now all I need is a coffee bean tiara, and some kind of tax-payer-funded salary to keep me in the style to which I am normally accustomed.

============================================

In other news, as I left work today, I got another call from my dad. Again, not good news.

Apparently my grandmother, who was deemed terminal anyway, upon hearing about my uncle decided that she was going to pretty much give up on living.

She has since completely stopped eating, and her condition has considerably worsened.

My dad called to tell me all of this, and to give me specifics.

Basically, grandma has a life-threatening blood infection that started in her foot, blood clots in her legs and in her lungs, pneumonia, and her lymph nodes are swollen to 4-5 times their normal size. The call was more or less to inform me that it wouldn't be long, likely a matter of days, and that I should mention to my boss that when something finally did happen, I would be missing a couple days of work.

I guess it's probably a good thing that I didn't take off work to go home for Jim's services, because missing work 2 times in a 2 week period for funerals back home seems excessive... especially when you consider I am only a little over a week into the job.

Kind of unbelievable to say the least.

I mean I have no intention of abusing my sick/personal days once I've earned them, but hell, I've got to admit, if I were my boss, and I heard 2 funeral excuses so close together from someone who I just hired, I'd probably be a little suspicious about it too.

We'll see how it goes over when I talk to him tomorrow.

So all things considered, it's not been the best week to be a sick person in my network of friends and family. It's almost as if knowing me is a terminal condition in and of itself.

Consider this your warning! I love you all enough to caution you!

RUN AWAY FROM ME WHILE YOU STILL CAN.

Either that, or pay a visit to your doctor to make sure you can't presently be diagnosed with any terminal diseases!

No comments: