Thursday, March 30, 2006

I'm not ready to let it go!!!!!!

Back in college I was known by most as something of a lush. It was not uncommon for me to go to work, and for a number of people to come along and ask me what I did the night before... They wanted to know for 2 reasons, 1) because I was almost always out wreaking havoc on the city in the evening hours, and 2) (*Not to toot my own horn or anything but...*) I am a great story teller, so when it came to recounting my adventures, it was always a pretty damn good time for the listeners too... I attribute this to the fact that even while I'm drunk I have a spectacular capacity for memory, and attention to detail.

Funny thing is, that despite my legendary status for my benders, I always managed to keep it under control to a point where I was never late for work, I made it to 99% of the classes that I had actually planned on attending, (in the four years of my college career, there were literally only one or two classes that were missed as a direct result of nights out, but on the whole the classes I didn't attend were more likely to be attributed to the fact that I was a little sharper than a lot of people in the class, and I'd done the reading, and just didn't want to go.) It should be noted that in addition to being legendary for my drunken adventures, I was also infamous for not having an exemplary attendance record... (Like I said before, I'm not trying to toot my own horn here,) But hey, if you were able to maintain a very respectable grade point average, ace tests without ever cracking a book or attending a class, and hold down 2 jobs, all with little to no effort on your part, I'm betting that you'd have gone out and partied it up a bit too.

Being out of college less than a year, I'm still trying to adjust to this whole "growing up" and "being a mature adult" thing... Which means I still like to occasionally party it up on a weeknight... (I see this problem worsening as we head into summer when there are Cubs night games on WGN, and the beer gardens are open!) Last night was one of those weeknights that was decidedly meant to be spent out on the town.

I went to get my computer back from those evil bitches, and I got a call from my dear sweet Anthony. Dinner and drinks were in order for the evening. So we got together, we ate, we drank, we told childhood stories and laughed at each other to the point of nearly pissing ourselves, and then Caroline called... She had forgotten her keys, (because she is silly like that). So we went to the school, locked up for her, and took off to another bar so that Caroline could get a little food and alcohol into her system... The first bar the three of us gallivanted off to served up a round of drinks, but their kitchen was closed, so once Dave and Kevin arrived we decided to move on down the street where the kitchen was supposed to be open... bar number two had also already closed their kitchen. So we ran across the street to bar number three and finally found a haven where the kitchen was open until 1 AM. Caroline got her food, we sat around drinking heavily and talking about awesomely bad movies and TV, (including, but not limited to Roadhouse, any movie starring Steven Seagal, and the much anticipated Snakes on a Plane.) At last call, it was only Caroline, Dave, and myself left standing. Because we are awesome like that.

Getting up this morning was more than a bit of a challenge, and there was definitely a large dose of advil to make getting to work feasible, but here I sit, realizing that I'm not in college anymore, and that "responsible adults" don't hang until last call just because they can... I just can't believe that I have to let go of being a collegiate legend, and face being a "responsible adult" ... I'm not ready for that transition... I'm not ready to accept it and move on!

No comments: