Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Sometimes I mumble...

This is a long overdue edition of Lizzle's mumblings... you know the routine... It's like a bunch of mini-posts all rolled into one.


================================================

I know I haven't posted any quotes of the day lately, but I'm opting for quality over quantity... I mean if you should stumble into the archives from a good long while ago, when quotes were posted with remarkable regularity, you'll see that we have high standards here at the Happy Hour.

The fact is that since I graduated and got a real job, I don't have contact with nearly as many people who say hilarious stuff (intentionally or otherwise). And that lack of contact makes it a little difficult to find quality material for you folks.

================================================

After reading Idle's post, I decided to go on record as saying, America is like an awesome summer camp. Sure there are a few people that are only here because their parents made them come. And sure there are a hell of a lot of people who haven't been able to get in, and they're willing to break in if they gotta, because it's a legendarily good time, but the fact is that in order to get in, and reap all the benefits of being here, you gotta wait in line like everybody else, you're going to have to pay the boarding fee (taxes) and you're going to have to play by the rules, or you're gonna get sent home, because we're too busy being awesome to screw around with your ass.

So deal with it, or you don't get to go horseback riding! (And you'll probably miss the co-ed bonfire too.)

================================================

Speaking of summer camp, I can remember going to camp when I was a kid. It was a damn good time... It was definitely "rustic" though... We're talking genuine outhouses with NO semblance of plumbing, and four-legged critters crawling into people's sleeping bags at night... I can still remember the stink of those outhouses... It's one of those smells that will forever be etched into the landscape of my brain... God, I don't know what made me think of all that... But there were some good times had at the grotto after the counselors "went to bed"

They should have summer camp for adults!

================================================

Caroline mentioned the possibilty of me joining Dave's soccer team... This excites me. If there is anyone else in the greater Chicago area who would be interested in starting up a soccer, softball, or kickball team this spring and summer, let me know!! We're gonna take the field and wreck shop! It's gonna be great!

================================================

My retail therapy order came in today, and I'm thinking that for the first time ever I'm going to have to return an item! One of the pairs of jeans I got came out of the box looking very much like a pair of "mom jeans" ... They might look different when I try them on, but as they look now, they ain't sticking around too long!

================================================

Last week my mom sent me the movie "March of the Penguins" and I'm not kidding when I tell you that when I started playing it, I literally sat totally alone in my apartment watching and excitedly shrieking "PINGUINS!" (Yes, I know that's not how you spell Penguins, but when I said it, it was definitely spelled with an I)

If my neighbors happened to be listening, or knew that I was in fact 23 and not 6 years old, and completely alone in my apartment, I'm sure that someone would have called the local authorities for an inquest into my competency to live in an unsupervised setting.

But seriously, how cute are these guys!?!?!?

=================================================

I don't know if it was just a regional thing where I was from, or if they had a national reach, for how long they were done, or if they are still done, but did you guys have "book fairs" as a kid?? I remember book fair week was frickin AWESOME to the 8 year old Lizzle... Man those were the days!

(Of course those were also the days when I was perfectly content to roll down the hill in my back yard inside a refrigerator box, and throw dirt clods at my brother... Wait, I'd still do both of those things! THOSE REALLY WERE THE DAYS!)

=================================================

Is anyone else sitting there, thinking about the things you thought were fun as a kid, and then thinking, "You know that'd still be fun now!"

Because I know, I am.

No comments: