Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Migraines... good for the brain?

Today, I went to work, ready to do my job to the best of my ability. Around 11:30 I got "the squiggles." No the squiggles are not some kind of new dance craze, and no "the squiggles" is not some cute name for an otherwise repulsive gastro-intestinal problem.

The squiggles are the first signs I get to indicate that a migraine is on the way.

So I informed the office that I was about to get a migraine, and needed to heavily medicate myself. One of my co-workers asked me how long it would take me to go get meds and come back.

Let me restate that. She wanted to know how long I would need to go get meds and COME BACK.

This is clearly someone who has never experienced a migraine. Migraine sufferers know. They know why it's called SUFFERING.

I told her, "Umm, I don't think I'm going to be able to come back and work today. Unless you want me to be a puking, passed out mess on my desk."

Because that's what migraine meds do... they knock you the hell out so that you feel less of the miserable brain-exploding pain. And an office setting is really not where you want to be when that sets in. You don't want to hear that phone ring, and you don't want to sit in a brightly lit office and look at a back-lit computer screen when you have painful symptoms that include, and are exacerbated by, sensitivity to light.

When you have a migraine, you want to be somewhere DARK AND QUIET!

Let me repeat that: DARK AND QUIET.

The migraine sufferers out there are nodding right now.

So I came home, I heavily medicated myself, closed the drapes, and prayed for an expedited end to the pain in any way that it would come, whether it was from dying by drowning in my own pain-induced vomit, or passing out from those heavenly, glorious drugs prescribed by my merciful doctor.

And so I spent the day in bed.

I can see you all out there saying, "But the title said 'Migraines... good for the brain?' How is this miserable, explosion of grey matter GOOD for the brain?"

Well, I'll tell you. Spending the afternoon passed the hell out in my bed was exactly what I needed. It was the equivalent sick day and a mental health day rolled together and costing me only a half day from my paid time off bank. And tonight, now that I am feeling better, and now that I have finished cleaning the grey matter off the walls and the sheets, I am recounting it for you... and you are reading it, because you love me... And you love me because I have suckered you into my clutches using humorous personal and social commentary. You can not escape.

Some people just clicked their way to another page... Proving that they can, in fact, escape.

But they'll be back... Oh yes, they will be back.

Shifting gears slightly, since my review, as you can imagine, I have talked to some people outside the office about my job. I am not encouraged by the feedback that I'm getting from them. They are saying things like, "Yeah, I really don't see you as the type to be all serious in an office setting." I have heard this a few times from different people. Which means they are seeing what I somehow missed. They knew I wasn't cut out for the corporate world.

This means I have to find something else that will sustain my ability to live, and mesh better with my personality. I'm open to suggestions. Seriously, what am I going to do with my life kids?

I can't work anywhere devoid of humor and a laid-back atmosphere (read: my current working situation) ... So think something up for me kids! And I'll implement suggestions that seem even remotely feasible.

Oh, and before I sign off, someone asked what QOTD was. This means that the feature went WAYYYYYY too long without being used. QOTD stands for Quote Of The Day. If someone says something funny to me, I make a note of it, and I quote them, because I feel that all humor should be shared with the masses! Why else would I write anything here?

1 comment:

Kristian said...

Quite useful information, thanks for your post.
Freeport homes