Monday, April 03, 2006

Seder, stabbings, and a really really awkwar/awful approach...

Ok, a week or so ago we established publicly that I am a Catholic.

After reading SarahReznor's post today, I was compelled to write about this... to see if anyone else is as confused about it now as I was then.

I've attended Catholic schools all my life... Kindergarten straight on through college. Impressed? Don't be.

For those of you who are wildly uninformed about other religions and religious practices, Seder is a passover celebration/meal generally observed by the Jewish community. There are lots of little symbolic things that are eaten to kind of "remind" the observers what the Hebrew people went through for the original passover back in the days of Moses.

This is all well and good, and don't get me wrong, I have nothing against the Jewish people. (I do have a bunch of Jewish friends and they are fabulous.)

But here's what I don't get... As a fourth grader (or somewhere there about) we celebrated/observed Seder at school. At a Catholic school. Where to my knowledge there was not a single Jewish student, administrator, teacher, janitor, or lunch lady. NOT A SINGLE ONE. So why did we have a Seder? I have no clue. We continued to observe this ritual every passover for about 4 years... And then it kind of disappeared as suddenly as it had arrived.

I still don't get why we celebrated Seder at a Catholic school... And they say hindsight is 20/20... In this case they lied.

Come to think of it, there were a couple of Kwanzaa celebrations in there too... and demographically referring back to the makeup of my school, I don't get that one either!

================================================

I REALLLLLLLLLY wanted to stab a co-worker today... And the people who work the phones in India. (Yes, we're back to calling India again!)

To be honest, I would be so much better off if this one fellow at the office could just learn to be nice, or at least be polite enough to ask for a favor nicely... Just because I am relatively new doesn't mean I am indebted to him, or that I deserve to be treated like dog shit.

As for the people in India, they aren't telling me anything new... So I think we need to kick that hunk of junk back-up system to the curb!

================================================

And now, for the grand finale.

As I was walking back to my office from lunch today, I was approached by a homeless fellow who wanted my change.

Now I admit that usually I don't give them a dime, I do make exceptions... For example, if they have a really great sign, like something on the order of, "Ninjas killed my family, need money for kung fu lessons" I'll cough up whatever I've got on me. But this guy's approach was REALLY REALLY AWFUL... And to be honest, if I'd had a dollar on me, part of me thinks I'd have given it to him just to get him the hell away from me. The other part of me would have been too busy throwing up... But I digress.

So like I said, I was walking back, and this guy saunters up and asks me if he can have a dollar.

He then proceeds to elaborate.

He says he needs the dollar to go and buy himself some chili...

He says he needs the chili because he has not pooped in 5 days.

I respond with, "Buddy, I don't carry cash. (Which is true.) But if I did, I don't think I'd give it to you because I really don't want to think about you taking a 5 day old dump because you got chili with my dollar."

ICK!

No comments: