Monday, October 18, 2004

I've been watching the Yankees-BoSox game, and let me just say that as I watched the innings pass, and the rally caps come out at Fenway, I sympathize with every last one of the sullen faces, the hands folded, half in prayer, half guarding from frostbite. I can identify with all of them, sitting in the stands at 12:45 local time, making deals with the devil for a happy ending, willing to trade their souls to see a world series berth, or better yet, a win. They sit there, knowing that a loss would likely mean that the team they love is responsible for the death of dear old grandpa. I see little girls, only 10 or 12 years old, who know these things... they can explain to the fairweather fans why 4 times out of 5 you're better off going with the sac bunt over a sac fly. They can tell you how a slider differs from a knuckle ball and a curve ball, quote batting averages, and pitching stats. The real baseball fans, young and old, have been raised on hotdogs and crackerjacks at the ballparks. Their sodium levels can be directly correlated with the amount of peanuts consumed over the course of the season. This is the great American past time, and while it's something that can be appreciated by many, but for those lucky die hards, it becomes an integral part of their soul. The real fans know in their hearts that anything is possible. They know that all it takes is a little faith, and one hot bat to send the other team packing. These are the fans who know what it means to support a team, in the off years as well as the stellar seasons. These are the fans who know it ain't over until mathematical elimination says so, and even then it's not over because in the minds of the real fans, the immortal phrase echoes "There's always next year." These are the fans who know they don't throw parades for wins in May, but dammit, all those games matter too!

I consider myself utterly blessed to be among the lucky few. I have my team, I have my faith, I know the joys of victory, and I know the bitterness of defeat. I can sympathize with the other tortured die hards out there, and we kindered spirits know what's up.

And for the record, real fans don't believe in the "curses"

Congrats BoSox on pulling this one out!

================================

An amusing exchange with Spoolie:
(A trailer for "Shall We Dance" comes on)
Spoolie: "My mom saw that, she said it was cute."
Liz: "Yeah, but that's a girly movie, Spoolie, you don't see girly movies."
Spoolie: "Yeah I do!"
Liz: "Oh really? What was the last girly movie you saw?"
Spoolie: (Long, pensive pause) "Hmm.... Well, I'm sure there's at least one."

================================

All I wanted this weekend was to talk to Dave, because he just gets me... and alas I didn't talk to him... So Daver, when you see this, give me a call when you've got some sober time!

================================

What the hell am I going to be for Halloween????

No comments: