Monday, October 18, 2004

Sleep issues are keeping me from being an A student... Well, sleep issues and the fact that I'm pretty unmotivated to be an overachiever. To take a line from one of my favorite movies, Office Space (Not a cinematic artwork, I know, but still a damn funny movie!) "You see Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care." Now, in my life as a student, I don't know who the hell Bob is... It could be a professor, the president of the university, whoever, but still... it doesn't matter who I'm talking to because the answer is the same. No, I'm not lazy, I just don't care. A few of my professors here have gotten me really motivated, to the point where I would do extra work because I wanted to, I'd attend class because I was so into what we were learning about I DIDN'T WANT to miss any of it... unfortunately this university has an overwhelmingly large core that requires students to take tons of classes that they will never EVER refer back to once they enter the real world, or a field related to their major, and I think the fact that students pack their days with core classes that they HAVE to take rather than other classes that they WANT to take chokes out creativity and stifles independent thought. I mean really, I go to a private university where people pay a LOT of money to learn... This indicates to me that, to some extent at least, these kids have some kind of desire to learn. And while their counterparts are off at state schools, paying next to nothing to take mind-expanding classes like underwater basket weaving 243, and Sanskrit 201, we are left taking philosophy of medical ethics, and a literary exploration of Hobbes, not because we are really interested in them but because we are required. For real.

So why do I even care about any of this? Because one of these days I'm going apply to grad school... and the people who aced bowling 101 at state school will have a higher GPA than I do because I got a B in the theology of environmental ethics class I was required to take. Yeah, sure my B.S. diploma will have a more distinguished name at the top, but unless I went to Harvard or Brown, I don't see that A I got in "History of the Holocaust and 20th century Genocide" getting me much further in the eyes of a grad school selection committee while I got a B in "sociology of pop culture." I think Alana's got the right idea. Go to grad school in Europe, do it all in a year, live it up for a while while you're abroad, and let things take their course. They have a better attitude towards life in general anyway. Food, drink, people, sports, and other simple pleasures far outweigh things like work and grand materialism. That's how it oughta be!

But for those of you trapped in the college life, I encourage you to adhere to the ten commandments of college (Thanks, Kang-a-roo, for the link!) while you're here, and deal with the grad school selection committee when you get to it... Put down the damn book and go out and live life! (Katie Miller, this means you!) There is no reason that you should spend the best nights of your early twenties going over flash cards for cellular biology, or advanced goldfish anatomy, or whatever the hell it is you pre-meds study for weeks on end, when you can go out to a bar and meet a hot medical student and get him to tutor you and make out between chapters. I mean really! Priorities people! PRIORITIES!

================================

I really just wanna talk to my Daver! But he doesn't call when I want him to, and he doesn't answer his phone either... You call that love Dave? Really? (Just kiddin baby, you know I love you, and I'm sure you're busy, or sleeping or drunk, or whatever.)

================================

And HOLY CRAP the BoSox just pulled another one from the garbage disposal! Just when you think you see your team (in this case, my AL team, which kinda makes me a glutton for punishment, I know...but I digress.) circling the drain, they go and amaze you! (Though I have no doubt that they are only toying with our emotions, as they have been known to do in the playoffs.)

================================

QOTD
10.19.04 -
Liz: [Exceptional Child voice] "Have fun at practice Krystian! 'Cuz you're my friend!"
Krystian: "HELL, Liz, Fiery HELL!!"

================================

For real though kids, what am I gonna be for halloween???


No comments: