Thursday, December 22, 2005

A conversation... (The unabridged version)

On Monday, I talked to my mom on the phone...

Mom: "Are you packed?"
Liz: "No. Why would I be packed? I don't leave until Friday."
Mom: "I don't know... Just thought you might be getting a jump on things."

Tuesday:

Mom: "How did your interview thing go? Are you packed?"
Liz: "Mom, the interview thing went fine, and no, I'm not packed."

Wednesday:

Mom: "Hey kiddo, are you packed?"
Liz: "Mom, we've been through this. No, I'm not packed. You know I don't ever pack until the night before I'm set to leave."
Mom: "I know... but why is that?"
Liz: "It's all a part of a special system... I pack and clean at the last possible minute so that I don't have time to mess everything up before I leave."
Mom: "Oh... and you couldn't just do all of that an extra day in advance?"
Liz: "No mom, I told you... It's a system. And it works... Besides, when have you ever known me to do something before the last possible minute?"
Mom: "I guess you make a good point. And if it works then it works."
Liz: "The last minute system has almost always worked for me."
Mom: "Almost?"
Liz: "Yeah, well, there have been a couple of minor exceptions, but in those cases, a phone call and a forged doctor's note has worked well enough to buy me a little time."
Mom: "I see."
Liz: "My momma didn't raise no fool."

Thursday (Day):

Mom: "Hey! What are you going to do with Murphy?"
Liz: "He's going to stay with Anthony... Mom, stop worrying, it's all worked out."
Mom: "I'm a mom, I worry. That's what I do."
Liz: "Well, I'm delivering Murphy tonight."
Mom: "Sober?"
Liz: "YES."
Mom: "Will you stay that way?"
Liz: "YES. I have to get up at 4:30 to catch my flight, so I'll be going to bed sober and early, or I'll be staying up all night."
Mom: "Just checking."

Thursday (Night):

Mom: "Packed yet?"
Liz: "No."
Mom: "Well go upstairs and pack! I want you to have stuff for your trip."
Liz: "Mom it'll be fine... stuff or no stuff, I'll still get there."
Mom: "Ok. Love you."

No comments: