Tuesday, December 27, 2005

My mom amuses me...

Ok, so we have established that I'm staying with my mom and my grandpa in what can now be referred to as their joint home... (formerly just my grandparents' home.) So I'm spending my time hanging out with my mom, and my 85 year old grandpa... Wow. Party!

Oh, wait, no, not so much...

My dear sweet mother informed me that my "Debbie Downer" post quite literally broke her heart... Well sorry mom, I didn't mean to. Love you.

But the truth is, despite my so-called maturity, I'm not quite cut out for hangin out with grandpa all day... So when Whitney called at 11 PM offering me a chance to go out for a few rounds, I jumped at the opportunity to get out for a little bit.

This of course made my mom a little nervous.

Mom: "Well why didn't she call before 11?"
Liz: "I don't know mom, I didn't ask... but I'd like to go if it's ok."
Mom: "Well how will you get back in?"
Liz: "I assume there is some kind of key involved, and you have one I can borrow for a few hours."
Mom: "Well, uhh... Ok, I guess. The lock is a little funny, you're gonna need to practice it."
Liz: "Ok, I can do that."
Mom: "Don't forget to turn out all the lights before you leave."
Liz: "Ok."
Mom: "Oh, that means it'll be dark when you get to the door... how will you see?"
Liz: "I've gotten into doors after dark before, I'll figure it out."
Mom: "Did you practice the lock?"
Liz: "Yes."
Mom: "Ok... don't forget to turn off the computer and all before you go out."
Liz: "Ok."
Mom:"And be home before 5!"
Liz: "Ok."
Mom: "And be quiet when you come in!"
Liz: "Awww, damn, I thought I'd be really loud and obnoxious."
Mom: "LIZ."
Liz: "Mom, I'll be fine, and I'll get back at a reasonable hour."
Mom: "And if you all have too much to drink, call me."
Liz: "Mom, if they have too much to drink I'll drive, and if I have too much to drink too, then I can call a cab."
Mom: "Ok, but be sure to turn everything off before you leave... And don't lock the outside door, or you'll never get to the middle door!"
Liz: "Mom, I'm going to have to go out a door you know... and the outside door can't be locked from the outside."
Mom: "Oh... well just turn everything off before you leave and be quiet when you come in!"
Liz: "Ok mom."

My Aunt Pam thinks my mom's positive attitude is rubbing off on my grandfather... I think that's a double-edged sword, because my grandpa's worries are rubbing off on my mom. Bless their hearts!

As for nursing a bit of a hangover in the company of my 85 year old grandpa... well, we'll see how that goes!

Later kids, I'm off for a few intoxicating beverages!

No comments: