Tuesday, December 27, 2005

My grandpa probably thinks I'm crazy...

Considering I didn't go to bed until about 2 AM, getting up at 10:00 AM really isn't all that bad for me. (I like to sleep a lot... And it wouldn't have surprised me if I'd ended up sleeping until noon.) But for a guy who goes to bed at roughly 9 PM and gets up at 5 AM, sleeping until 10 is just beyond comprehension.

So after I got up, I showered, read my book, and generally puttered around upstairs until about 12:30. This was apparently worth a little worry because grandpa actually came up to check on me to see if I was ok. So I decided I'd probably better just come on downstairs so that he could more easily find me if he wanted to make sure I was ok. There was still coffee waiting for me when I came down, which I thought was very sweet. So despite the fact that it was after noon, I went ahead and poured myself a cup. And since I'd finished the last of the coffee, I decided to go ahead and rinse out the pot. This prompted grandpa to ask, "What are you doing?"

"Well, I finished the last of the coffee, so I was rinsing out the coffee pot."

I got a look from him like I'd lost my mind.

So in an effort to stay out of the way and not interfere with his routine, I decided to just go to the living room and read a book. Shortly thereafter, he came in to see why the Christmas tree was on, (my computer was plugged into the same power strip as the tree, and I needed to turn it on) and apparently I had escaped notice because he got all the way across the room to turn the tree off when he heard me cough, and said, "Oh, hi! I didn't see you there... I was wondering who left the tree on."

A short while later he headed off to church, which prompted him to inform me, "Uhh, I'm going over to the St. Ben's and the parish center. Umm... If anybody calls for me, just tell them I'm not here. But don't tell them where I'm at unless it's really important or an emergency."

You'd think with a prompt like that that the phone was ringing off the hook, and that people were stopping by at all hours to track my grandpa's movements... Like he was a celebrity being stalked by the paparazzi or a terrorist under government surveillance... And not an 85 year old man with a routine that you can track with a stop watch.

And in case you're wondering, while he was gone, his phone didn't ring, and nobody came by but the mailman.

So my day has a pretty easy pace to it. It's a funny little vacation from my own reality.

And now for the Christmas quotes!

======================================================

QOTD (Some of these are going to require a little background.)

"Shut your pudding pop hole!" ~ Cole

Background: My father is notorious for blowing his nose in spectacularly loud fashion... and he does this immediately following, if not during, EVERY SINGLE meal. Prior to this quote, my father had just blown his nose in the other room.
"WOW! I didn't even realize we'd had a meal! That's amazing!" ~Cole

Background: My (step-) sister's step-mother bought everyone gag gifts as stocking stuffers... this included silly string for everyone. And my sister proceeded to shoot my nephew with it at close range... hitting him in the eye.
"OWWWWWW Mommy!!! Why'd you shoot me in the eye? OWWWW IT BURNS!! Why'd you shoot me mommy?" ~Tyler

Background: My dad has a bit of a belly, and my nephew was puffing his tummy out.
Becky: "Wow look at that belly!"
Tyler: "Yeah, it's really big like pa-pa's!"

Background: For Christmas, Tyler got a 4 foot tall figure of Woody from the movie Toy Story.
"WOW! Tyler, that's the biggest woody I've ever seen!!!" ~Jean Ann

Background: My little sister is all excited about going to Mercy Academy for high school, so for Christmas she got a sweatshirt that said "Mercy" on the front.
(In a tone that resembles a shocked grandmother,) "OH! MERCY!" ~Cole

Yeah, I'm probably the only one who thought all of these were funny, I guess you had to be there... I assure you, they were hilarious.

No comments: